Saturday, May 3, 2014

Purpose....

     I'm not sure who will or won't be reading this here blog but I had the brilliant idea to start writing down the things that I tend to wrestle with in my head. I will be 42 this month. I've lived a lot and made some incredibly stupid mistakes along the way. I've also tried to figure this whole Christianity thing too.
Lately, there has been sort of a mental breakthrough for me regarding God and His love....
For all of my life I've wrestled with the concept of God's love for me and my position as His child. Not having a biological father around didn't help. Added to this is the fact that I really don't feel like I should be loved or accepted or delighted in. There is too much wrong with me internally for anyone to really love me. But the problem lies in the fact that God is not my human father. He is not a human lover or a human judge. As I understand God as revealed in the bible, He is pure, unadulterated love. LOVE, not as we humans understand it but LOVE as He is....
Anyway, there is a concept in Christianity that says that God delights in me as His child. And I have to ask myself "why"? Why would God love such a selfish failure as myself? Why would He be so patient with my short-comings and failure? Why should He ever allow me into His good, perfect, pure and holy presence?
The answer, which is just staggering to me, is because He delights in me. Sounds kind of trite doesn't it? "God delights in me..." It doesn't really roll off the tongue too well. But my friends, that simple statement is really honestly gospel truth....I will follow up on my new grasp of this idea later...

No comments:

Post a Comment